(PF-56: dp. 1,190, 1. 303'11", b. 37'6", dr. 13'8"; s. 20
k.; cgl. 176; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)
The third Covington (PF-56) was launched 15 July 1943 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss. J. Phillips, transferred to the Navy 5 August 1944; placed in "ferry" commission 7 August 1944, and commissioned in full 17 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. S. Brown, USCGR, in command.
Covington arrived at Argentia, Newfoundland, 25 December 1944 for duty as a weather patrol vessel. She remained on this duty, except for overhauls at Boston and Charleston until 16 March 1946 when she was decommissioned and loaned to the Coast Guard. Covington was returned from the Coast Guard 17 September 1946 and sold to Ecuador through the Foreign Liquidation Commission of the State Department 28 August 1947.
By hull number Edit
By name Edit
PHM, patrol missile hydrofoil Edit
PGH, patrol gunboat hydrofoil Edit
PCH, submarine chaser hydrofoil Edit
These submarine chasers were 173 feet long and used the PC designation. The large missing sections of numbers in designation for the most part come from sharing the same number set as the other much smaller 110-foot submarine chasers that used the SC designation.
497-507 used by SC submarine chasers
511 to 522 used by SC submarine chasers
524-539 used by SC submarine chasers
- to UK as HMS Kilbernie (BEC 1) to UK as HMS Kilbride (BEC 2) to UK as HMS Kilchatten (BEC 3) to UK as HMS Kilchrenan (BEC 4) to UK as HMS Kildary (BEC 5) to UK as HMS Kildwick (BEC 6) to UK as HMS Kilham (BEC 7) to UK as HMS Kilkenzie (BEC 8) to UK as HMS Kilhampton (BEC 9) to UK as HMS Kilmacolm (BEC 10) to UK as HMS Kilmarnok (BEC 11) to UK as HMS Kilmartin (BEC 12) to UK as HMS Kilmelford (BEC 13) to UK as HMS Kilmington (BEC 14) to UK as HMS Kilmore (BEC 15)
- PCE-861 to PCE-866 Cancelled Reclassified YDG-8 Renamed USS Havre (PCE-877) Renamed USS Buttress (ACM-4) Reclassified YDG-9 Reclassified YDG-10
- PCE-887 to PCE-890 Cancelled
- PCE-901 renamed USS Parris Island (AG-72)
- PCE-905 renamed USS Execute (AM-232)
- PCE-906 renamed USS Facility (AM-233)
- PCE-907 renamed USS Gavia (AM-363)
- PCE-908 renamed USS Fixity (AM-235)
- PCE-909 renamed USS Flame (AM-236)
- PCE-910 cancelled June 6, 1944
- PCE-911 renamed USS Adjutant (AM-351)
- PCE-912 renamed USS Bittern (AM-352)
- PCE-913 renamed USS Breakhorn (AM-353)
- PCE-914 renamed USS Carimu (AM-354)
- PCE-915 renamed USS Chukor (AM-355)
- PCE-916 renamed USS Creddock (AM-356)
- PCE-917 renamed USS Dipper (AM-357)
- PCE-918 renamed USS Dotterel (AM-358)
- PCE-919 renamed USS Drake (AM-359)
- PCE-920 to PCE-934 Cancelled November 1, 1945
- PCE(R)-935 to PCE(R)-946 Cancelled
- PCE-947 to PCE-960 Cancelled to Netherlands as Fret (F 818) to Netherlands as Hermelijn (F 819) to Netherlands as Vos (F 820) to Netherlands as Wolf (F 817) to Netherlands as Panter (F 821) to Netherlands as Jaguar (F 822)
Of 112 Eagle class patrol craft planned 60 of these World War I era ships were completed, being given numbers from 1 to 60. Only three were commissioned prior to the Armistice which ended World War I and only eight saw service in World War II of which PE-56 was sunk by a U-boat.
|PE-1||7 May 1918||11 July 1918||27 October 1918||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-2||10 May 1918||19 August 1918||11 July 1918||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-3||16 May 1918||11 September 1918||11 November 1918||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-4||21 May 1918||15 September 1918||14 November 1918||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-5||28 May 1918||28 September 1918||19 November 1918||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-6||3 June 1918||16 October 1918||21 November 1918||Destroyed as target 30 November 1934|
|PE-7||8 June 1918||5 October 1918||24 November 1918||Destroyed as target 30 November 1934|
|PE-8||10 June 1918||11 November 1918||31 October 1919||Sold 1 April 1931|
|PE-9||17 June 1918||8 November 1918||27 October 1919||Sold 26 May 1930|
|PE-10||6 July 1918||9 November 1918||31 October 1919||Destroyed 19 August 1937|
|PE-11||13 July 1918||14 November 1918||29 May 1919||Sold 16 January 1935|
|PE-12||13 July 1918||12 November 1918||6 November 1919||Sold 30 December 1935|
|PE-13||15 July 1918||9 January 1919||2 April 1919||Sold 26 May 1930|
|PE-14||20 July 1918||23 January 1919||17 June 1919||Destroyed as target 22 November 1934|
|PE-15||21 July 1918||25 January 1919||11 June 1919||Sold 14 June 1934|
|PE-16||22 July 1918||11 January 1919||5 June 1919||Transferred to the Coast Guard late 1919|
|PE-17||3 August 1918||1 February 1919||3 July 1919||Wrecked off Long Island, New York 22 May 1922|
|PE-18||5 August 1918||10 February 1919||7 August 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-19||6 August 1918||30 January 1919||25 June 1919||Destroyed 6 August 1946|
|PE-20||26 August 1918||15 February 1919||28 July 1919||Transferred to USCG late 1919|
|PE-21||31 August 1918||15 February 1919||31 July 1919||Transferred to USCG late 1919|
|PE-22||5 September 1918||10 February 1919||17 July 1919||Transferred to USCG late 1919|
|PE-23||11 September 1918||20 February 1919||19 June 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-24||13 September 1918||24 February 1919||12 July 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-25||17 September 1918||19 February 1919||30 June 1919||Lost 11 June 1930|
|PE-26||25 September 1918||1 March 1919||1 October 1919||Sold 29 August 1938|
|PE-27||22 October 1918||1 March 1919||14 July 1919||Sold 4 June 1946|
|PE-28||23 October 1918||1 March 1919||28 July 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-29||18 November 1918||8 March 1919||20 August 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-30||19 November 1918||8 March 1919||14 August 1919||Transferred to USCG late 1919|
|PE-31||19 November 1918||8 March 1919||14 August 1919||Sold 18 May 1923|
|PE-32||30 November 1918||15 March 1919||4 September 1919||Sold 3 March 1947|
|PE-33||14 February 1918||15 March 1919||4 September 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-34||8 January 1919||15 March 1919||3 September 1919||Sold 9 June 1932|
|PE-35||13 January 1919||22 March 1919||22 August 1919||Sold 7 June 1938|
|PE-36||22 January 1919||22 March 1919||20 August 1919||Sold 27 February 1936|
|PE-37||27 January 1919||25 March 1919||30 September 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-38||31 January 1919||29 March 1919||30 July 1919||Sold 3 March 1947|
|PE-39||3 February 1919||29 March 1919||20 September 1919||Sold 7 June 1938|
|PE-40||7 February 1919||5 April 1919||1 October 1919||Destroyed as target 19 November 1934|
|PE-41||20 February 1919||5 April 1919||26 September 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-42||13 February 1919||17 May 1919||3 October 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-43||17 February 1919||17 May 1919||2 October 1919||Sold 26 May 1930|
|PE-44||20 February 1919||24 May 1919||30 September 1919||Disposed of 14 May 1938|
|PE-45||20 February 1919||17 May 1919||2 October 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-46||24 February 1919||24 May 1919||3 October 1919||Sold 10 December 1936|
|PE-47||3 March 1919||19 June 1919||4 October 1919||Sold 30 December 1935|
|PE-48||3 March 1919||24 May 1919||8 October 1919||Sold 10 October 1946|
|PE-49||4 March 1919||14 June 1919||10 October 1919||Sold 20 September 1930|
|PE-50||10 March 1919||18 July 1919||6 October 1919||Sold 11 June 1930|
|PE-51||10 March 1919||14 June 1919||2 October 1919||Sold 29 August 1938|
|PE-52||10 March 1919||9 July 1919||10 October 1919||Sold 29 August 1938|
|PE-53||17 March 1919||13 August 1919||20 October 1919||Sold 26 August 1938|
|PE-54||17 March 1919||17 July 1919||10 October 1919||Sold 26 May 1930|
|PE-55||17 March 1919||22 July 1919||10 October 1919||Sold 3 March 1947|
|PE-56||25 March 1919||15 August 1919||26 October 1919||Exploded off Portland, Maine, on 23 April 1945 |
after being torpedoed by U-853
|PE-57||25 March 1919||29 July 1919||15 October 1919||Sold March 5, 1947|
|PE-58||25 March 1919||2 August 1919||20 October 1919||Disposed of 30 June 1940|
|PE-59||31 March 1919||12 April 1919||19 September 1919||Sold 29 August 1938|
|PE-60||31 March 1919||13 August 1919||27 October 1919||Sold 29 August 1938|
PE-61 through PE-112 were cancelled on November 30, 1918. PE-5, PE-15, PE-25, PE-45, PE-65, PE-75, PE-86, PE-95, PE-105, and PE-112 were allotted for transfer to Italy, though this plan was cancelled and none were ever delivered.
Covington is a small municipality located in King County, about 20 miles southeast of Seattle. Originally a stop on a railroad line connecting Kanasket to Auburn, Covington began to grow in the early twentieth century as lumber mills sprang up around Jenkins and Soos creeks. After the timber trade died out, dairy and berry farming became more popular in the area with improved irrigation practices. In the late 1990s, Covington residents made a push for incorporation to seize some control of their development away from King County. Formally incorporated in 1997, Covington still struggles to balance growth and its former rural identity.
Farms and Rail Stop
Originally, Stkamish, Smulkamis, and Skopamish people inhabited the area around what is now Covington. Later, all three tribes would be lumped together under the name of other groups along the White and Green rivers, as "Muckleshoot." The area was rich for farming, aided by the sediment of the prehistoric Osceola Mudflow that had slowly filled the valley where Covington and nearby Kent would develop.
The earliest European settlers came to the area in the 1850s, and their interest in the land was not entirely welcome. When the Muckleshoot and Klickitat tribes refused to be moved to reservations in 1855, they clashed with white settlers about 10 miles west of Covington (between present-day Auburn and Kent). Nine settlers were killed in the fight.
While settlers moved in to farm, an even more significant addition came in the 1880s: the Northern Pacific Railroad, looking to complete a western rail line from St. Paul, Minnesota, to Auburn. Needing a short leg between Kanasket (about 10 miles east of Covington) and Auburn, Northern Pacific sent a surveyor by the name of Richard Covington to the area to define a route that's now known as the Palmer Cutoff. (Far more evocatively, the code for the line was "Rodent Frugality" in old Northern Pacific telegrams.) A stop was named for Covington, and soon after the area (earlier referred to as Jenkins Prairie) took the name of the stop.
The construction that went into the line between Kanasket and Auburn was substantial:
"At the last station, Covington, the standard 2,850-foot passing track was put in, along with a 700-foot loading. The same size section house was used in conjunction with the larger, 24-man bunkhouse. Water was provided via box tank and standpipe. The only costs listed were for the section houses $1,000 for each building's construction $100 for a privy for each and $50 in furnishings per house. Wells were sunk at each station at a cost of $65 each" (Phillips).
Not long after the Palmer Cutoff was complete in 1900, an even more lucrative business was added to Covington when the Covington Lumber Company was founded. It was the first mill in the area. At the junction of what are now Soos and Jenkins creeks, Emil Bereiter (1873-1913) and John W. Sandstrom erected a mill in 1901. Known originally as the Bereiter Mill (perhaps unfairly to Sandstrom), it preceded a small working community of men who were employed in mill operations. In a collection of stories recalling Covington's past, resident Stella Wenham described the little settlement that sprang up around the mill and the Covington Lumber Company operations:
"More than thirty small houses huddled together on each side of the road which led to the mill, together with a bunkhouse and cookhouse to shelter the more than one hundred men employed at the mill. A small group of houses across Soos Creek housed Japanese mill workers. A footbridge led across the stream to the mill" (Wenham).
A few changes had to be made to the surrounding area to get the mill operating at full speed. A 30-foot high dam was erected to create a log pond -- complete with a salmon ladder, per the Game Department. But the construction seemed to pay off. The Covington Lumber Company produced 6,000 board feet of lumber per hour, and also was home to a shingle-making operation.
By the early 1900s, the town had grown to include a fair amount of infrastructure. Mill carpenters built a small school big enough for a few rows of desks, with one teacher to keep all the grades on task. Significantly, a post office was added in 1891 -- a sign of the area's growth and worth to the region. A general store, fire station, and feed mill were also Covington-based around the turn of the century.
But it was timber that kept the town growing. In 1901, Calhoun Mill opened at what is now the junction of Highway 18 and Highway 516, next to Soos Creek. Horse-drawn cars transported lumber to the Covington landing dock for shipping out by rail. Not long after, in 1905, Charles Meredith opened his Meredith Mill. The mill was originally near Kent, on Clark Lake, but by 1910 was moved to Jenkins Creek. The mill was between the creek and the railroad, with 13 outbuildings for camp.
One notable story in Covington occurred in 1902, when outlaw Harry Tracy (1877-1902) -- on the run after escaping from the Oregon State Penitentiary -- made his way through the area on his way east. After he invaded a home near Kent and gathered supplies from the household, there were reports of a shootout between Tracy and a few men near the Covington Mill Company. The next day, a nearly breathless Seattle Daily Times reporter rode with a posse of men to catch Tracy's trail, and reported that the men who narrowly missed Tracy in the shootout were understandably upset: "J. A. Bunce is madder than a wet hen. First, because he did not kill Tracy when he had him so close by, and, second, because [Sheriff] Cudihee did not send reinforcements last night. Bunce said if he had four men that Tracy would be dead today" (Sefrit). But the posse was too late: Tracy made it to Lincoln County before dying in an August 1902 shootout.
Despite the excitement, Covington continued to expand slowly. Around 1912, another schoolhouse was built. To reflect the expanding area, this one was upgraded to two rooms the "little room" for the smaller children (grades one through four), and another room for grades five through seven. After the consolidation of the Meridian and later Kent school district, the two-story building was converted into the Covington Community Center, which eventually burned down in 1976.
Dairies and Berries
As the lumber and timber industry died out, dairy farmers moved in. These so-called "Soos Creek stump ranchers" saw that the clear-cut land that could support herds of cattle. A cheese factory also came in with the cattle, after World War I. By the 1920s, farming was made even easier by the introduction of irrigation practices. With extremely dry conditions in the spring of 1922 (The Seattle Daily Times recorded "virtually no rain since May 21st" in its July 23rd edition), the ground was set to test whether 1,250 acres near Covington could benefit from irrigation by way of canals from Jenkins Creek ("Great Value of Irrigation . "). According to The Times, the results were very promising, in particular for berry farmers in the area:
"New land under irrigation is yielding abundant crops of vegetables. Strawberries continued to yield two weeks after the crop on unirrigated land was finished. New loganberries are making a phenomenal growth. All of the experimentation this year has been on newly cleared land" ("Great Value of Irrigation . ").
The area continued to grow as a farming community in the post-World War II years, along with nearby towns like Kent and Auburn. As these suburbs around Seattle swelled, Covington began to look promising as a bustling suburban retail hub. By 1992, the Covington area was designated an "urban activity center" by King County, which meant an area that would be well-suited for future growth (Murakami). But there was little doubt that Covington still had a whiff of the sticks in the early 1990s.
The Seattle Times even reported a member of the King County Boundary Review Board (which oversees the incorporation and annexation process by which cities are formed and expand their boundaries) asking during a hearing, "Is there a town called Covington?" (Ervin). Indeed, there was -- and the town was moving to consider incorporation. By 1992, with a $30 million medical plaza slated for a 1993 opening (it would later become the MultiCare Covington Clinic), Covington residents were having initial inklings that incorporation might be favorable.
In 1994, the first push for Covington incorporation was officially launched with a signature drive. King County jurisdiction meant local residents lacked control of planning and growth (or lack thereof) by incorporating, advocates felt they would be gaining control to steer Covington's development themselves. But first the exact boundaries of the proposed city had to be determined and in doing so there were several hurdles to jump over, including a fight with the existing City of Kent over control of the Lake Meridian area.
Lake Meridian had some swank real estate, about 9,000 residents, and a ritzy country club. Kent officials thought it a good idea to annex the prime property, but Covington boosters tried to lure the residents to their side, with the promise of an impending incorporation. When a pro-Covington group discovered in March 1994 that the signatures they gathered were largely invalid, the issue seemed dead. When the Covington group tried again, there was little use: The Kent annexation was moving along at a nice clip. King County growth plans already designated the Lake Meridian area as Kent's to annex, and annexation was usually favored over incorporation in state law. (Lake Meridian did join Kent eventually.)
In 1996 -- with boundary fights largely over -- the King County Boundary Review Board voted to allow citizens to vote on incorporating Covington. Citizens for Covington Incorporation head Rebecca Clark expressed relief that the long battle was nearing an end: "My whole objective through the whole three years was just to put it to a vote to the people, so the people can make the decision" (Schubert). Another resident, Roxanne Durbin, explained why Covington was eager to incorporate: "We chose this area because it was a rural area and we thought it would be a better place to raise our children. I don't want to see it change" (Schubert).
The time was right for cities to form. Just a week before Maple Valley, bordering the eastern edge of Covington, had also gotten the go-ahead for an incorporation vote. When the Covington measure appeared on the November 1996 ballot, the area up for incorporation was roughly six square miles and included about 12,200 residents. The choice seemed rather stark to a lot of citizens, who saw the alternatives to incorporation as either being annexed by Kent or being developed into oblivion by King County.
On November 5, 1996, Covington residents were fairly united in their support of incorporation, with 73 percent of the vote in favor. Covington Neighbors' Council president Bob Clark cited the need for the town to control its own development as a reason for the support. "I think that bringing that control back to the local area was the real driving force. It will work, now that Covington residents have their destiny in their own hands" ("Cityhood Backers Winning . "). The formally rural one-railroad-stop town of Covington officially became a city on August 31, 1997, when incorporation took effect.
But incorporation didn't mean the end of Covington's debate about growth and development. The newly elected seven-person city council was firmly divided between those who wanted to keep the rural character of the city and members who saw the potential tax revenue of developing businesses along Highway 18. By 2000, hundreds were showing up at Covington's city council meetings, which had become quite contentious and heated. The Seattle Times reported one council member called another a Nazi when a citizen applauded the name-caller, the target of the epithet threw the citizen out of the meeting.
At the heart of the controversy was the effect of Initiative 695, a 1999 statewide repeal of the motor-vehicle-excise tax, replaced by a $30 flat fee. This tax-revenue reduction drained funds from Covington's state sales-tax revenue. Pro-growth residents were eager to make up some of those dollars by attracting big retailers like Home Depot -- which in turn displeased those residents who were pushing for a small urban core, centered around small businesses. In 2007, Covington did pass a utility tax to fund services, which generated about $2 million in revenue for the city. The tax also helped fund the city's Parks and Recreation services, which were cut drastically after a 2006 levy to form a Metropolitan Parks District was defeated soundly at the polls. Retailers like Costco and Wal-Mart are now part of Covington's commercial core.
With the population of Covington reaching nearly 18,000 people in 2013, the debate about growth continued. The City of Covington's website reminded citizens that the Covington city council cannot "stop" growth: "King County's decision to include Covington in the Urban Growth Area (UGA) prior to the City's incorporation is the primary reason for rapid growth in Covington. The City Council can only manage growth to some degree by working with city staff to ensure that zoning codes are in effect which allow growth that is consistent with the Council's vision or with the image the City would like to portray" (City of Covington).
Logo for City of Covington
Courtesy City of Covington
Covington Mill and workers, Kent, ca. 1920
Class photo, Berrydale School, Covington, ca. 1922
Courtesy Maple Valley Historical Society
Interior, Covington Library, King County Library System, Covington, ca. 2007
History of Covington
On August 31, 1997, the City of Covington became an official municipality in the State of Washington. The area known as Covington extends back over 100 years and was originally called Jenkins Prairie. The name Jenkins continues with Jenkins Creek, and there is even a Jenkins Creek Elementary School.
In the 1880's, the Northern Pacific Railroad commissioned a surveyor by the name of Richard Covington to develop a railroad line between Auburn and Kanasket. Along the way, a stop was named for him and the Covington community was born.
In 1890, the Covington Lumber Company was formed at the junction of Soos Creek and the Northern Pacific railway, just southwest of the Covington depot. A dam 30 feet high was built to create a log pond. Even back then, the Game Department required that they put a fish ladder in for the salmon. The company and mill town of Covington was located about four miles southwest of what is now the Big Lots/Big 5 shopping center.
An abundance of timber and water in the area lured other lumbermen to build in Covington. Charlie Meredith built a mill on Jenkins Creek and the Aware Lumber Company was located just east of Auburn. One of the best-known mills in the area was the Covington Creek Mill.
Services were soon to follow and, by the 1900's, the area had a school, store, post office, loan office, feed mill and fire station. The cooperative store, Granger's Co-Op, was formed because of the high prices and a feud with nearby Kent merchants. A cemetery, Meridian Cemetery, was started around the same time and the land was purchased for $5 per acre. Phone service was introduced to Covington by this time, as well. The cost was $12 per year for the "Farmers Party Line," and a Covington telephone directory was printed as early as 1911.
After the trees were logged off, the "Soos Creek stump ranchers" arrived to work the land. They cleared the stumps and brush, turning the area into valuable dairy pastures.
In 1937, Covington had its own school district-Number 138. It was housed in a building on the Kent-Black Diamond Road. On school days, you could hear the school bell ring for miles. When the building burned down, the bell was refurbished and donated to Covington Elementary School on Wax Road. It is still there today.
The first City Council, consisting of five men and two women, was sworn in on May 1, 1997, in the Covington MultiCare Clinic Atrium. The City held its Incorporation Celebration on September 13, 1997. The celebration was arranged by the area service groups and citizens.
Covington, which covers 6.5 square miles, has a unique population of caring, hardworking residents with a lot of community pride. In 1997, the population was listed at 12,500. In 2001, the last census showed that the population had risen to 13,783. The population of Covington in 2008 is 17,190. Covington's population at that time, compared to the rest of King County, had a significantly higher percentage of youth (35% vs. 22%), and 85% of all Covington households are families. The area has continued to grow with neighborhoods of single housing units, giving it a unique family atmosphere.
Where to Eat
Dine at one of Covington’s many local restaurants that have a variety of flavors.
Mystic Grill Restaurant
Inspired by the restaurant in The Vampire Diaries, Mystic Grill Restaurant has a menu of chef-driven and seasonal Southern food like fried chicken and burgers.
Set in a pharmacy from the 1920s, City Pharmacy serves a new generation of visitors with chef-prepared dishes and cocktails for dinner and brunch. It also has a raw bar with oysters on the half shell.
The casual pizza chain Your Pie has an outpost in the historic Covington square, where you can get custom-built pizzas, including those with vegan and vegetarian toppings, as well as gluten-free bases.
Town House Cafe
Opened in 1964, Town House Cafe is a family-owned and operated restaurant serves hearty breakfasts as well as sandwiches for lunch and chicken, pork, and Southern-style sides for dinner.
The Social Goat Tavern
The Social Goat Tavern is set in a historic building in downtown Covington, serving fan favorites like burgers, street tacos, Georgia craft beer and signature drinks.
Bradley's Real Pit Bar-B-Que
Enjoy the hickory smoked pork, beef, and chicken and all the sides at Bradley's Real Pit Bar-B-Que, the area’s best barbecue restaurant. They offer dine in or take out services.
Bread and Butter
Start your day with coffee and pastries at Bread and Butter, a popular cafe in Covington. They bake their own bread for sandwiches and use Georgia-grown ingredients. They also serve soups and salads.
RL’s Off the Square
RL’s Off the Square opens for dinner, serving daily specials and Louisiana-inspired entrees like gumbo, fried green tomatoes and barbecue shrimp.
Quarter Horse Colt for Sale
This Colt has AQHA Registry. He is extremely defined and well cut. Very Muscular. Will make an awesome breeding stallion, or all around prospect.
Rf Heza Firemjet
Big hipped, short back, built like a bulldog. He will make a great Rope/Barrel, All Around prospect, he’s already so friendly, and confident. Gorgeous&hellip
Teninas Lil Playgun
Jax, a HANDSOME sorrel rabicano colt out of Ninas Badge by Pepsis Lil Playgun Papers are pending with AQHA. We are doing a DNA certification on him&hellip
King Bred Sorrel Colt
This colt is stout and athletic. He will make a great cutting, roping or working cow horse. Very gentle and willing disposition. Foundation bloodlines&hellip
King Bred Black Two Year Old Stud
Athletic and smart with good speed and action. This colt will make an excellent roping, cutting or reined cow horse. He is fast on his feet and smooth&hellip
DOR Metallic Pistol - 2 Yr Old Started Meteles Cat Colt 2 Yr Old Started Meteles Cat Colt
Rooster is a 2 year old, flashy red roan stud colt , won't get much prettier than him. He is a late baby born in June. He’s in training and started under&hellip
In 1814, John Gano, Richard Gano, and Thomas Carneal purchased 150 acres (0.6 km 2 ) on the west side of the Licking River at its confluence with the Ohio River, referred to as "the Point," from Thomas Kennedy for $50,000. The men named their new riverfront enterprise the "Covington Company," in honor of their friend, Gen. Leonard Covington, an American officer who once trained troops in the area and was killed in the War of 1812 at Crysler's Farm. 
The investors prepared a plat for the new city that was approximately five blocks wide by five blocks deep. The platted streets lined up with the streets of Cincinnati across the Ohio River, symbolically tying the future of the fledgling city to its larger neighbor to the north. The first five streets, running north to south, were named for Kentucky's first five governors: Shelby, Garrard, Greenup, Scott, and Madison.
In February 1815, the Kentucky General Assembly incorporated the land as the town of Covington.  At the time of its incorporation, Covington and all of today's Kenton County was a part of Campbell County. Shortly after its incorporation, the investors began selling lots in the new city for $385 a lot. However, for the next 15 years, lot sales were slow and disappointing. By 1830, the young city had a population of only 715 and lot prices were selling for half their value in 1815.
After 1830, in large part because of the influx of German immigrants, Covington's population began to grow significantly, creating a number of distinct and diverse neighborhoods within the city. This growth was recognized by the Kentucky legislature, which, in February 1834, incorporated the town as a city. By 1840, the population in the city increased to 2,026, which included eleven free blacks and 89 slaves.
Mutter Gottes/Old Town and Mainstrasse Edit
This population resided not only within the established boundaries of the city but outside, causing the city to undertake its first annexation, which extended the city to Main Street to the west and 12th Street to the south. This annexation brought the neighborhoods now known as Mutter Gottes/Old Town and Mainstrasse.
Fueled in part by the European revolutions of the mid-19th century, many Europeans, particularly Germans, immigrated to Covington. At this time, the primary commercial district and gathering place was on Main Street near Sixth Street, the area now known as "Mainstrasse." Sixth Street was laid out with a wide width that allowed the city, in 1861, to establish a public market in the center of the street with traffic lanes on either side. The nearby Mutter Gottes Kirche (Mother of God Church), built in 1871, was the center of another German-speaking neighborhood.
Old Seminary Square and Westside Edit
At the same time the western area of the city was growing, development began to stretch to the south. In the late 1830s, the Western Baptist Education Society purchased 370 acres (1.5 km 2 ), which would define the city's southern boundary in 1841. On this tract, the organization established a seminary and set aside 22 acres (89,000 m 2 ) for a cemetery, which in 1843 would become known as Linden Grove Cemetery, the final resting place for several Civil War soldiers. To raise money to build its campus, the Baptists entered into the real estate market, subdividing the land and selling lots around its campus and cemetery. Many graves were left untouched as the building of structures progressed into an area now known as Old Seminary Square, Mainstrasse Village and the Westside. In 1843, the city annexed most of the Society's subdivisions, which expanded the city's boundaries to 15th Street.
Within two years of opening the Western Baptist Theological Institute on Russell Street in 1845, the trustees of the organization became embroiled over the slavery issue. This ultimately ended with the dissolution of the institute in 1853 and the division of the property between the opposing factions. At the same time, the tracks for the Covington and Lexington Railroad were laid in the area, bisecting the college campus. Fifteen years later, the original St. Elizabeth Hospital moved into one of the old college buildings, where it operated from 1868 to 1911.
Austinburg and Lewisburg Edit
At the same time that the Society was developing its property, Seneca Austin and his wife purchased and started developing 80 acres (320,000 m 2 ) along the Licking River from approximately 16th Street to 20th Street, creating the neighborhood we now call Austinburg. In 1851, the city annexed all of the Austins' land to Wallace Avenue as well as the western neighborhood now known as Lewisburg. Both communities were settled by largely German contingents, who established churches and parishes as focal points in their communities: St. Benedict's Catholic Church and parish in Austinburg, and St. John's the Evangelist Catholic Church and parish in Lewisburg.
Facade of St. Benedict's Catholic Church by Br. Paul Byrd, OP
A snow storm in Austinburg, looking east toward the Licking River.
Wallace Woods and Levassor Park Edit
Immediately south of Austinburg were three large estates owned Robert Wallace, Daniel Holmes, and Eugene Levassor, all of whom were successful merchants.
In 1867, on 17 acres (69,000 m 2 ) that he had acquired next to the Wallace and Levassor estates, Holmes constructed a 32-room redbrick English-Gothic "castle," which was called Holmesdale. After Holmes died and his wife and children had returned to their native New Orleans, the family sold the mansion and 13 acres (53,000 m 2 ) to the Covington Board of Education in 1915. The mansion served as the Covington High School until 1936, when the structure was razed and a new high school was constructed. This building and five others now occupy the former estate grounds as part of the Holmes High School campus.
In the 1890s, the Wallace and Levassor estates on either side of the Holmes estate were developed, creating upscale neighborhoods at the end of the streetcar line. Many stately homes were constructed on large lots in these neighborhoods.
Just west of Wallace Woods and the railroad tracks, a German, working-class neighborhood developed in the latter years of the 19th century. This community was known by its inhabitants as "Peaselburg." In 1880, the community incorporated as an independent municipality and changed its name to Central Covington. In 1894, the Wallace Woods heirs agreed to be annexed by far less wealthy Central Covington because its tax rates were substantially lower than those assessed by the City of Covington.
The next year, Covington attempted to annex Central Covington, but support for the effort did not materialize. However, a decade later, many Central Covington businesses and homes were flooded by the eruption of a major sewer line. Covington offered to help the smaller municipality but only if the residents agreed to annexation, which occurred in 1907. Thus, Central Covington (and indirectly Wallace Woods) became a part of Covington. Six years later, St. Augustine Catholic Church was constructed on 19th Street, serving as this neighborhood's focal point and community gathering place.
Latonia and Rosedale Edit
In 1882, a group of investors formed the Latonia Agricultural and Stock Association to create a horseracing track south of Covington. Purchasing more than 100 acres (0.4 km 2 ) north of Banklick Creek in an area then known as Milldale, and using the name of the nearby resort of Latonia Springs, the investors renamed this area Latonia. The track opened in June 1883, but it wasn't until 1890 that Kenton County granted the Covington electric streetcar company the right to lay tracks from the Covington city boundary to this area of the county.
In 1896, a portion of this area was incorporated as the city of Latonia, with a starting population of about 1,500. Adjacent to Latonia to the south was a community known as Rosedale, which was actually a part of Latonia. In 1909, Covington annexed Latonia and Rosedale, in part to relieve Latonia of financial difficulties it was encountering.
West Covington Edit
The independent city of West Covington, formerly known as Economy and now known as Botany Hills, is located along the Ohio River on the hills west of downtown Covington. This city was platted in 1846 and St. Ann's Church was constructed in the area in 1862 and served this primarily German-Catholic community. After an unsuccessful attempt to annex this city in 1873, Covington annexed it in 1916, in part because of water problems in the area and a lack of a high school.
Smaller annexations in the mid 20th century Edit
After the annexation of West Covington in 1916, the boundaries of Covington remained the same for the next 35 years while other municipalities were established in areas surrounding Covington, such as Park Hills, Fort Wright, and Lakeside Park, to name a few. In the 1950s and 1960s, the city annexed small tracts of land – 34 acres (140,000 m 2 ) in Lewisburg in 1951, 70 acres (280,000 m 2 ) in Latonia in 1956, and 47 acres (190,000 m 2 ) that was formerly occupied by a Benedictine Monastery (now the Monte Casino neighborhood) in 1963 – but these annexations were of a small scale compared to tracts annexed during the first 100 years of the city's existence.
1960s annexations (Kenton Hills and South Covington) Edit
During the 1960s, the city annexed a considerable amount of property that would establish the current boundaries of the city. Starting in 1965, the city annexed 212 acres (0.9 km 2 ) near Kyles Lane. In 1965, the city added 72 acres (290,000 m 2 ) near Devou Park, which was then known and is still known as Kenton Hills. Finally, in 1965, the city undertook its biggest annexation effort ever when it added 4,000 acres (16 km 2 ) of unincorporated land in Kenton County south of Latonia, creating the community now known as South Covington.
The population of Covington grew from 743 in 1830 to 24,505 in 1870 to 42,938 in 1900. From this number, the population grew to its highest recorded count – 65,252 – in 1930. Perhaps due to problems associated with the Great Depression in the 1930s, U.S. Census Bureau recorded the city's first drop in population in its history in 1940, when the population was documented at 62,018. For the next two decades, the population would remain in the low- to middle- 60,000s. Due in large part to urban flight that occurred in the 1960s and 1970s, the city's population dropped from 60,376 in 1960 to the lowest recorded census count in recent history in 2010, 40,640. In the most recent U.S. Census estimate, conducted in 2014, the city's population increased slightly to 40,944.
First commercial development Edit
In its infancy, most of the commerce in Covington was connected with the rivers that formed the northern and eastern boundaries of the city. Because the Kentucky side of the Ohio River was relatively shallow compared to the Ohio side of the river, Covington was never able to develop its riverfront as a viable public landing for boats and steamships, which instead moored on the Cincinnati side of the river, where steamship building facilities were located.
The city's first manufacturing concern, a cotton factory, was built near the river in 1828, and three years later, another business, a rolling mill and nail factory, was established along Scott Street near the riverfront.
First commercial center Edit
The first commercial center of the city was established around the "public square" platted between Third and Fourth Streets and Scott Boulevard and Greenup Street. At this location, a market house was constructed in 1831 and a public well was dug approximately one block from the square. During the 1830s, along with the public market, retail stores, businesses offices, and other commercial establishments flourished in this area.
In the mid-19th century, two things promoted the growth of Covington. First, in 1840, the Kentucky General Assembly severed Kenton County from Campbell County. Despite the legislative directive that county seat be at the center of the county, Covington served as the de facto county seat until the City of Independence was incorporated in 1842.
Because Independence was sparsely populated and approximately 12 miles (19 km) from Covington, the residents and lawyers of the thriving urban area found it more convenient to transact business and administer justice at the Covington courthouse, which was constructed near the public square in 1843. Recognizing that Covington was serving as the de facto county seat, the Kentucky legislature, in 1860, enacted a law authorizing Covington as the site for the recording of deeds and mortgages – making Kenton County only one of two counties in Kentucky with dual county seats (the other being Newport and Alexandria in Campbell County).
Madison and Pike Street commercial corridor Edit
The other major development occurring during this time period was the construction of the Covington and Lexington Railroad in 1853. While the public square remained a hub for the "courthouse crowd," in large part because of the railroad, the area of Madison Avenue and Pike Street became the city's primary commercial center during the rest of 19th century and into the 20th century.
With a train stop at Russell and Pike Streets, which was also near the terminus of the Covington and Lexington Turnpike, the area of the city soon became a beehive of commercial activity. Packing houses, groceries, dry goods stores, meat markets, printers, jewelers, saloons, lumber yards, machine shops, hardware stores, and more than 20 hotels cropped up in this area of the city.
In the years following the Civil War, Covington largely prospered as a result of the city's access to the tobacco grown around the Bluegrass, with numerous cigar factories around the town.  Its iron mills, distilleries, glassworks, and stove makers were also noteworthy.  Birdsill Holly's innovative water supply network was introduced in 1871. 
As with Cincinnati, many immigrants to the area were German and many were Catholic.  A parochial orphanage was established about 4 miles outside town, and the St Elizabeth Hospital and the Benedictine priory of St Joseph and nunnery of St Walburga were among the city's principal buildings. 
By the time of the First World War, Covington was serviced by the Chesapeake & Ohio and Louisville & Nashville railroads.  It was the state's second-largest city and its second-largest municipal economy.  It received a Catholic bishopric and a Gothic cathedral.  Its factories at the time had grown to include textile mills, foundries, machine shops, and cordage makers. 
Covington-Cincinnati Suspension Bridge Edit
The next major project that spurred the economic growth of Covington was the decade-long construction of the Covington-Cincinnati Suspension Bridge between Covington and Cincinnati. Built by John A. Roebling, construction started in 1856. Work on the bridge continued for two years before the effects of the 1857 depression brought construction to a halt. Work on the bridge resumed in 1863 but once again was delayed because of the Civil War. The bridge formally opened on January 1, 1867, promoting further commerce between Kentucky and Ohio.
In part because of depressions of 1873 and 1893, commercial construction was not significant in Covington during the latter part of the 19th century. However, that would change dramatically in the early 20th century for a number of reasons.
One of these reasons was that the Suspension Bridge – originally designed for horse cars and pedestrians – was reconstructed in the late 1890s to accommodate electric streetcars – and in a few years, automobiles. During the early 20th century, many new commercial and governmental structures were constructed in Covington.
The heyday for Covington as the commercial center for all of Northern Kentucky was the first two decades of the 20th century. During these decades, particularly the 1920s, the city's downtown was a bustling place of activity, with numerous restaurants, department stores, shops, saloons, banks, theaters, and offices bringing swarms of people to the downtown commercial district.
Among the buildings that were constructed during this high-growth period were several near the public square, such as the city and county building, dedicated in 1902 and the Cincinnati, Newport, and Covington Railway Company headquarters, completed in 1903 (later acquired by the Citizens Telephone Company), to name a few. In addition, a number of other commercial structures were constructed in the downtown commercial district that survive today, such as the Masonic Lodge at the corner of Fourth and Scott Boulevard, the Kentucky Times-Star Building in the 500 block of Scott, and the Edward Pieck pharmacy building (later the Greyhound bus station building) at the southeast corner of Fifth Street and Madison Avenue.
It was also during this time period that Covington became the financial center of Northern Kentucky, housing the following lending institutions, primarily on Madison Avenue: the First National Bank, German National Bank, Covington Savings Bank & Trust Co., Citizens National Bank, and Peoples Savings Bank and Trust Company, to name a few.
This was also a period when the manufacturing industry significantly increased in Covington. Of particular note was the growth of The Stewart Iron Work Company, which employed as many as 600 people in 1915. It was a highly guarded secret that Stewart Iron Works made the special "non-sawable" bars for the cells at Alcatraz Prison. The Bavarian Brewery was a large employer in the west side with strong sales until Prohibition in 1918. Other manufacturing firms that operated during this time period include the United States Motor Truck Company and Kelley-Koett Manufacturing Corp. of Covington, Ky., one of the country's earliest manufacturers of x-ray accessories and equipment. Known for many of its beautiful churches, this was also the time frame during which one of the city's icons, St. Mary's Basilica Cathedral of the Assumption, was built it was dedicated in 1910. It was also during this time frame when the city acquired two of its most prized parks: Goebel Park in the Mainstrasse neighborhood and Devou Park, more than 500 acres (2 km 2 ) of pristine land in the western hills of the city.
While the Great Depression of the 1930s devastated many Covington businesses and residents, the city's decline did not become pronounced until the 1960s. As mentioned above, the city's population remained somewhat stagnant for three decades. But post-World War II urban flight, coupled with a substantial reduction in the city's manufacturing sector, caused a significant decline in the city's workforce as well as its resident population.
If the 1920s was the last great decade for Covington, then the 1970s – and to a certain extent the early 1980s – was the nadir for the city, at least with respect to its downtown. Despite construction of the IRS service center by the federal government in the 1960s, which brought many new jobs to the city, the city began a downward spiral of disinvestment, which continued for several decades. In fact, in the late 1970s, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development identified Covington as one of the country's "most distressed cities."
During this time period, as new retail centers and malls grew in the suburbs, long-established Covington retail firms either closed or left downtown Covington. Among the stores and shops that left or closed were Goldsmith's Department Store, Eilermann's Department Store, Coppin's Department Store, Montgomery Ward, S.S. Kresge Co., Herzog's, Louis Marx & Sons Furniture, Modern Furniture, Woolworth's, Penney's, Sears, the First National Bank, and the Madison and Liberty theatres, to name a few. Many of these storefronts remained empty during this time period or were replaced with less attractive commercial endeavors or social service agencies.
Beginning in the mid-to-late-1980s, Covington began its revival. New buildings were constructed, jobs were created, and the population loss began to stabilize.
The rebirth of Covington as a commercial center occurred in the same place where the city commercial growth first occurred – along the Ohio River and in one of the city's first commercial districts, Main Street. The rebirth on the river began modestly in 1984 when developer David Herriman built the $4.4-million, 34-unit Riverside Terrace condominium complex on Riverside Drive. Two years later, Herriman constructed the 43-unit Riverside Plaza, a companion condominium project just south of Riverside Terrace, for $7.5 million.
With the city and state investing approximately $7 million in infrastructure improvements in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including construction of the 100-foot (30 m)  Carroll Chimes Bell Tower with its carillon and glockenspiel in Goebel Park, Main Street and Sixth Street was renamed "Mainstrasse," and returned to its roots as a German village with restaurants, taverns, and specialty retail shops.
In the mid-to-late-1980s, the city, using state and local funds, began acquiring properties along the Ohio River for redevelopment. In 1988, the city and local developer Corporex entered into a master development agreement to redevelop the city's riverfront, which kicked the city's renaissance into high gear. The first phase of this redevelopment occurred in 1990 when the $110-million, 18-story Rivercenter office tower and a 230-room Embassy Suites hotel was built atop a 1,100-space parking garage constructed by the city.
In 1994, Fidelity Investments established a 188-acre (0.8 km 2 ) campus in Covington, constructing three office buildings on the campus, totaling approximately 780,000 square feet (72,000 m 2 ) and employing 2,000 employees. At the same time the Fidelity campus was underway, Wessels Construction built the IRS Gateway Center on Scott Boulevard, between Third and Fourth Streets, which would employ approximately 2,000 IRS employees when completed.
In 1997, Rivercenter II was built next to Corporex's first downtown office tower, and during the same year, across Madison Avenue from the Rivercenter complex, a new garage was funded by the Commonwealth of Kentucky and built by Corporex. A year after the garage was finished, a 300-room Marriott hotel was built atop a portion of the garage. Two years later, on the remaining portion of the parking garage, eleven floors of office space was constructed, now known as Madison Place, and on top of this office space four floors of multimillion-dollar residential condominiums called Domaine de la Rive were built.
In 1998, across the street from the Marriott hotel, the Commonwealth of Kentucky contributed $30.5 million to build the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. In 2001, a block away from the convention center, Wessels Construction would add a 110,000-square-foot (10,000 m 2 ) expansion of the Gateway Center on Madison Avenue and Third Street. Another block away, Towne Properties would build Roebling Row Apartments, an 86-unit luxury apartment building with architectural features compatible with nearby structures in the surrounding historic Licking Riverside neighborhood.
Meanwhile, a housing boom was taking place in the southern part of the city. Among new subdivisions built in South Covington in the 1990s were Ridgeport (275 homes), Clover Meadow (88 homes), and Heathermoor (100 upscale homes).
Local History: Bogue Falaya Wayside Park
Bogue Falaya Park in Covington was a happening place in the beginning of the 20th Century. There were all kinds of dances, plays and general get-togethers in the park. Hundreds of people passed through the entrance gates of the community park on summer weekends to sit by the river, enjoy the shade of the large pavilion and listen to music or see a show of some sort. Click on the images to see a larger version.
It was first opened in July, 1909, as indicated by the following newspaper article from the St. Tammany Farmer. Click on the image to enlarge the type.
Here are some pictures of the entrance to Bogue Falaya Park. The first one is in the 1910’s.
A previous entrance to Bogue Falaya Park, according to the postcard caption.
A March 27, 1920, Editorial About the Park Heading for the Park Pavilion The large park pavilion that was repeatedly damaged by floods A July 4, 1939, gathering at the park The park pavilion in 2016
According to Pat Clanton, the original large pavilion in the park was destroyed around 1915 and replaced with the current day pavilion, which is much smaller.
The large brick entrance posts are also interesting.
The entrance gate built in 1920 served pedestrians, but was modified a few years later to accommodate cars. The two pillars on either side of that gate were retained. They were restored in 2007 along with the historical marker that was placed on them originally.
On January 24, 1920, W. L. Stevenson wrote a letter to the St. Tammany Farmer proposing that the above brick entrance pillars be built.
The sign above is a replica of an earlier sign that adorned the entrance to the park. The new sign was built in 1993 using funds generated by the sale of a song-filled cassette about St. Tammany Rivers. CLICK HERE for more information.
The Documentation for Placement on the National Registry of Historic Places
On August 17, 2017, Bogue Falaya Park was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The narrative description of the park listed on the NRHP application went as follows (with some editing):
The Bogue Falaya River was pivotal in the development of Covington. Covington was at one point one of the major ports for cotton coming from Mississippi and Florida. In addition to cotton shipments were brick, lumber, beef, and poultry. In the early and mid-19th century, Covington was a central axis for trading and the Bogue Falaya served to link the town with Lake Pontchartrain and finally New Orleans.
Not only were goods and people moving from Covington to New Orleans, the residents of New Orleans were flocking to the Bogue Falaya riverbanks. Covington and the other towns were designated to be the 2nd healthiest place in the United States after the Civil War due to the significantly lower levels of disease related deaths. People would come to the Bogue Falaya to swim and to enjoy the clean air. Covington and the Bogue Falaya became such a prominent tourist attraction that early versions of bed and breakfasts were developed along the river and in the town to accommodate for these visitors.
Bogue Falaya Park is located on the eastern side of the city of Covington, Louisiana on the banks of the Falaya River. A thirteen-acre park located at the end of N. New Hampshire Street with a natural boundary of the river to the east and the suburban neighborhood to the west.
Within the park are two significant structures, the main being the pavilion situated at the end of the turning circle/ parking lot area within the park. The dominant feature of the park, the current pavilion was constructed in 1915 and has acted continuously as an important community gathering center for the city of Covington.
The second are the gates to the park, donated in 1920 by a Dr. Lawrence Stevenson. The remaining features of the gate include brick and mortar posts with marble plaques and three cast iron cannon balls a top each post. Originally larger, they have been receded to allow for vehicle access to the park.
In addition to these primary features, there is also an original lifeguard chair dating to approximately the 1950s. A dilapidated concession stand and newer construction wooden playground are also on the site and are non-contributing elements to the park.
The park offers a variety of vegetation featuring several live oak and long leaf yellow pine trees throughout.
Bogue Falaya Park, located within the city limits of Covington, Louisiana, was opened on July 1, 1909, along the banks of the Bogue Falaya River. Already a popular recreation site because of the river, the park developed into a central gathering space for community members of Covington.
The area is mostly sand with the only paved areas being the driveway into the park and turnaround area directly in front of the pavilion. The turnaround area features a small sculpture, stone benches, and is the most manicured/planned area in terms of vegetation.
The park has many trees most of which are cypress, oak, or long leaf yellow pine, which are common to the area. The ground is primarily sand, with some small growth of grasses. As it was always meant to be a recreational space and not a designed landscape, the park still retains its integrity as a contributing site and is the only resource of the park itself that dates to the original opening in 1909.
The lifeguard chair is a contributing object. The wooden portions of the chair (seat and back) have rotted away, but one can still easily tell that this was a lifeguard chair. It stands on the banks of the Bogue Falaya River and helps to illustrate the recreational aspect that the park and river played. It is constructed of pipe metal and fits the typical design of a lifeguard chair, being taller so that that lifeguard could see over crowds and well into the water. It dates to the 1950s and is thus, within the period of significance for the park.
The Bogue Falaya Park is significant for recreation and entertainment as the park has provided a recreational space that was not only used by locals, but residents of New Orleans as well, for over 100 years. The historic resources within the park have been continually used by residents and visitors and retain a high degree of integrity.
The park itself provides a rural oasis within the city of Covington away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown area. The park continues to this day to be a significant recreational resource for the community
Due to the relative health of the city of Covington and the access to the river, recreation became a large part of the Bogue Falaya and its banks. The land for the park was bought from G.R Tolson in 1908 by the City of Covington to establish a 13-acre park. The park was officially opened on July 1st, 1909. The city maintained the park from that time until 1938 when it was gifted to the State of Louisiana who managed it until 1978 when it was given back to Covington.
The original pavilion was constructed in 1907 and was destroyed in a storm in 1915, which necessitated the building of the existing structure. Even prior to the formal designation of the park, this original pavilion and riverbank area was a popular destination and a source of pride for residents and a featured tourism spot.
Multiple post cards were developed in this time with renderings and photographs of the pavilion. One shows visitors walking to the pavilion with their buggies parked in the grass.
Up until the 1960s, the park was a popular swimming spot for the residents of Covington, and on the weekends, residents of New Orleans. The pavilion was used as a gathering space for visitors to the park. The pavilion offers an open space for people to gather under and, when the park was still open for swimming, it offered a counter where you could purchase a basket of swimming essentials.
Behind the counter were showers and changing areas for swimmers. In the front, to the left-hand side was a concession stand where visitors could buy an assortment of refreshments. A jukebox was also in the pavilion. During the period of significance, the pavilion and park were open all night and became a place for teenagers to dance.
Current residents of the town of Covington recall that on the weekends there was barely a section of beach left to lay your blanket and fondly spoke of their youth – swimming during the day and dancing with friends into the evening.
The river, as told above, was the heart and soul of both commerce and leisure in Covington for a significant amount of time and a main reason Covington became a destination spot. The river was the center of life in Covington – where people would relax, wash their clothes, and even baptize their young. This continued up to and past the development of Bogue Falaya Park.
The park was built to accommodate the recreation of the river. The evolution of this area into a park is a natural progression of the use of the space, as represented by the fact that the original pavilion predates the land being bought for the park by one year.
Clearly, the need was there for a structure to provide shade, the needed facilities for such a popular swimming spot, and a place to gather as a community. The vitality and popularity of the park and pavilion continued up until the late 1960s when the river became polluted and the park went into a state of disrepair. In the early 1980s, the park was reopened and in 1984, it underwent a renovation. New sand was brought in, debris was cleared away, and the pavilion was cleaned and repainted.
The Bogue Falaya Park is significant because of the popularity of the park among residents of Covington and the pivotal role the pavilion played in providing services, entertainment, and a break from the heat during a time when tourism and recreation on the Northshore was at an unsurpassed rate. This park provided the main recreational access to the river and was a true center of the community during the hot months. The park and pavilion were also used for private family parties and gatherings as well as public town events throughout the year.
The original pavilion was built in 1907 and was destroyed in a storm in 1915. The existing pavilion was constructed that same year to replace the damaged original. The pavilion is a free-standing wood construction building located at the end of the parking lot turning circle and serves as the focal point in the park.
The pavilion is a one-story structure and is dominated by a large open air room. A set of five wooden stairs with a railing on both sides brings visitors up to a small inset doorway with wood trim painted the color tan. The interior space from the front entrance opens into a large square area with low wooden benches along the perimeter.
The back wall contains two sets of double doors, behind which is now storage/prepping area. This space was originally where visitors would rent swimming equipment and housed the changing areas for each sex. To the right and left of these doors are the current restrooms. A later addition, on the back-left section of the pavilion facing the back wall is a handicapped accessible restroom. To the left of the main structure is a low side addition, which used to serve as the concession area. The building retains a high degree of historic integrity for location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feel and association. It has been continually used by the community for over 100 years and its historic features have been retained while also updating certain aspects of the building for modern uses. The pavilion is over 50 years old and retains much of its integrity from its construction in 1915, with some modifications and upgrades as stated above.
The gates are the next significant structure in the park and lie at the only vehicle access entrance to the park at the end of N. New Hampshire Street. Constructed in 1920 the gates were a gift to the park by Dr. Stevenson and were dedicated to his parents and the Rebel Ram Manassas, which was a submarine that served in the civil war to defend Louisiana.
Each of the two sides of the gate sit on a concrete footer. The focal points of the gate are two redbrick and mortar structures with a square concrete footer and a marble base. On the capstone are three cast iron cannon balls.
On the southern elevation of the eastern gate the plaque reads “Original Park Gates erected 1920, Restored 2007” and features a carving of the gates on the top of the plaque. The east and west elevations include a cement placeholder for the plaque.
The north elevation has a marble plaque with a carving of the Rebel Ram Manassas and reads “My Parents, Projectors of the Rebel Ram Manassas, Defender of Louisiana in The Civil War, Dr. Stevenson, 1920”. Dr. Stevenson donated the gates in 1920 in honor of his parents and the CSS Ram Manassas.
The CSS Ram Manassas was active during the Civil War as a part of the Confederate fleet. The Manassas has a unique history and was originally designed in Massachusetts as a towboat and used as a steam icebreaker. The ship was captured and purchased by Captain John Stevenson, who was the father of Dr. Stevenson. Captain Stevenson turned the icebreaker he had purchased into a ram – which is an entirely ironclad ship run by steam meant to (literally) ram other ships and to be impermeable to cannonballs.
The Ram Manassas was one of the first ironclad ships built for the Confederacy. Eventually, the ship was defeated, but its story offers a unique perspective into naval warfare during the Civil War. This history is especially relevant to the significance of this property due to its connection to the rivers.
Originally the gates had iron gates to enclose the park. These were removed with the increase in vehicle traffic to the park. Over the years, the gates were vandalized and fell into disrepair. The cannonballs were stolen and the plaques damaged. In 2007, the gates and plaques underwent restoration. The cannonballs were replaced with ones to match. The gates are contributing objects as, although they have been restored with the cannonballs replaced, they are over 50 years old and retain their historic integrity. The town appreciates and is aware of this history as was shown by the hard work that was put in to carefully restoring the gates in 2007.
Today, the park is used daily by locals and visitors alike. The pavilion is still available for private rental for celebrations and gatherings and is often booked. Town-organized events are also held in the structure, such as the philharmonic music event series and the Halloween Monster Mash.
The park is a source of joy and pride for all the residents of Covington and remains an important asset to the community. The gates to the park are also significant in and of themselves and offer a piece of history about some of the residents of the town.
The Bogue Falaya Park has served as a key recreational facility in Covington since it was first created in 1907-08.
Covington PG-70 - History
Welcome back to Marlow Heights and the surrounding areas of PG County from the 1960s and 1970s! I grew up in the area from around 1965, until we moved away in late 1973. I lived mainly in an area known as Deer Park Heights, which was off of Raleigh Road (Raleigh ran from between Olson Street and St. Barnabas Road). I attended elementary school from nearby Dennis Grove Apartments in Oxon Hill, from 1965-1967, Green Valley Elementary for part of 1967, when we lived on 28th Parkway in Hillcrest Heights, Sandymount Elementary School in Marlow Heights from 1967-1970 for 4th-6th Grades, Benjamin Stoddert Jr. High, also in Marlow Heights, from 1970-1973, and one semester of Potomac Sr High School in Oxon Hill in 1973, after which my family and I moved out of the area.
My first job was at the Red Barn (which we used to call the “Dead Barn”) located off of St. Barnabas Road when I was 14, in the Summer of 1972, which lasted for all of a month or so, for $1.35 an hour, and then went to work at the Jr. Hot Shoppes, Iverson Mall in Hillcrest Heights for $1.40 an hour. I ended up working there until December of 1973, but came back and stayed the Summer of 1974 with my mother in Upper Marlboro and worked at Jr. Hot Shoppes again. I was also a Block aka Grit for a few years, before falling victim to bell bottoms/flares, butterfly collar shirts,“ stack ” shoes, and that “feathered” hairstyle of the 70s. I decided to create this web site to connect with my Marlow Heights past, by sharing my recollections and photos, and hoping that others do the same. This site is a tribute to Marlow Heights and the great communities of PG County of its heyday, the 1960s and 1970s (with some of the 1950s and a bit of the early 80s, too).
Didn ’t you ever wonder what happened to your old neighborhood in southern/central PG County, that place you perhaps haven’t seen in 30 or 40 years? Do you think about a favorite restaurant you used to visit, a teacher you had in school, a boyfriend or girlfriend, the neighborhood you lived in, your first job as a teenager, fads, clothing styles, a long lost friend from Marlow Heights or one of the surrounding areas? Or whatever became of your old classmates? If you lived in Marlow Heights, one of the nearby communities, or anywhere in southern and central PG County during the 60s or 70s, this site is for you and to, “Keep the Memories Alive”. There’s always a chance you’ll connect with old friends and classmates, and maybe even an old teacher or two. This is a participative web site, and whatever information, articles, links, photos, videos, or audio provided to me will be credited. If you grew up in Marlow Heights, or any of the ‘Heights of PG County, during the 50s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s, this is THE nostalgia site just for you!
If you ’re wondering about the garish, gaudy colors on this web site, well, that’s how I remember the 60s and 70s!
Covington History: the St. Tammany Parish Courthouse
Here is the history as well as some photographs depicting four of the courthouses that have served St. Tammany Parish.An 1820 map showing the first courthouse near Enon (click to enlarge)
Prior to 1817, a courthouse serving both Washington and St. Tammany Parishes was located near Enon in Washington Parish in an area known as “Washington Fields.” Records indicated that some soldiers were stationed there for the War of 1812.
According to a publication of the Louisiana State Bar Association entitled “Louisiana’s Historic Courthouses: A Look at the Past and the Present,” (Published in 2016) The St. Tammany Parish courthouse sprang from legislation signed by Louisiana’s first governor, William Charles Cole Claiborne in 1813. The legislation called upon a local committee to locate a courthouse site “within three miles of the center of St. Tammany Parish, which at that time consisted of Washington Parish, St. Tammany Parish and the portion of Tangipahoa Parish east of the Tangipahoa River.”
Following those directions, the group established the first courthouse near the banks of the Bogue Chitto River near Enon on property owned by Judge Thomas C. Warner, who was the first parish judge in St. Tammany Parish.
The Bar Association’s Journal went on to explain that four years after establishing the courthouse near Enon, another group was given the assignment of moving the parish seat. “The Claiborne Company had purchased a portion of the Kleinschmidt Spanish land grant in 1813. In exchange for the commission naming the Town of Claiborne as the parish seat, the Claiborne Company offered some of its land and agreed to build a courthouse and jail for the parish, free of charge.”
“Robert Layton told them (the group seeking a parish seat) that he’d build a courthouse if they made Claiborne the parish seat,” said retired Judge Steve Ellis, a parish historian. This resulted in the second St. Tammany Parish courthouse being built in the Town of Claiborne just east and across the river from Covington. It cost around $20,000 to build.
That building, built in 1818, currently stands across the driveway from the Chimes Restaurant near the Bogue Falaya River. The structure was completed and opened for business on April 12, 1819.
However, the bar journal account noted that “within 10 years of the erection of the 1819 Courthouse, the Police Jury determined that the courthouse should be moved to Covington, previously known as the Town of Wharton.”
On June 5, 1837, the Police Jury purchased Lots 12-15 on the corner of Boston and New Hampshire Streets in Covington for use as a courthouse site, the bar journal stated.
The 1819 Courthouse was eventually sold and used as a private residence and Catholic seminary. In the late 1800s, a hotel known as the Claiborne Cottages was built next to the former 1819 Courthouse. Those cottages were destroyed by fire in the early 1900s.
The parish seat was moved from Claiborne to Covington in 1838. A courthouse was built on the corner of Boston St. and North New Hampshire St. In 1884, however, the Police Jury voted to demolish the courthouse located at that location. “During the demolition and rebuilding period, Covington Town Hall was used as a courtroom. The new courthouse opened two years later in 1886 and was used for 73 years, according to the bar journal account.
The structure pictured above at that location was built in 1896, with the cornerstone of that building pictured right, as it looks preserved as a monument in front of the old courthouse site at the northeast corner Boston St. and New Hampshire St.
“The completion of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in 1956 magnified the need for a larger facility to conduct the parish’s business,” the Bar Association article went on to say. “In 1959, the parish decided to build a new courthouse, completed in 1960. Within the year it took to complete the new courthouse, court was held in the gymnasium of the Jefferson Avenue grammar school. The new courthouse shown below was opened in 1959 in the same location as the previous courthouse. It featured a jail on the third floor.
The police jury held a number of committee meetings about what to do about the growing space problems in the courthouse building. They finally decided, despite objections, to build a new courthouse down near Interstate 12. The courthouse stayed in Covington, however, after some legal action by city officials noting that the courthouse had to be in the parish seat.
For a brief time, in an effort to provide more space, there were a couple of courtrooms and judges offices in the building where the Southern Hotel is located today. It served as Parish Administrative Offices for several years, complete with police jury meeting room and offices for various parish agencies.
The parish chose to ignore the city’s objections and built an office facility on Koop Drive off La. 29 near Interstate 12, moving its main administrative offices and several key departments to that location. In 1996, efforts resumed to build a bigger courthouse, but within the boundaries of the City of Covington. The old P&W Salvage facility on Jefferson Avenue was considered.
“The 1960 courthouse was used until the St. Tammany Justice Center opened in 2003, which brought together many of the parish’s offices that were scattered throughout the city,” according to the Bar Association article. Planning for the massive $64 million structure began in the year 2000.
“The St. Tammany Parish Justice Center, unlike any courthouse in Louisiana, is a 312,000-square-foot structure containing 22,000 cubic yards of concrete and 25,000 St. Joe bricks and housing 12 courtrooms,” said the article.
Check out Ron Barthet’s blog Tammany Family for more great local history! More great photos related to this post here.List of site sources >>>